It's generally acknowledged that it's in the theatre industry's best interest to nuture the next generation of talent: The best way to ensure the quality of your future shows? Provide top-notch training. Signature is no stranger to this principle. In fact, Signature has been hosting summer musical theatre programs for young performing artists for over ten years. In both Stage One Workshops and Overtures, students are given the opportunity to further develop their performing skills in a professional and focused environment.
|Overtures students rehearse for their final showcase.|
Overtures: Signature Theatre's Musical Theatre Institute
"It's amazingly complete... I feel like I learned more that was practical for a life in the theatre than I did in four years of college." (2011 Overtures participant)
2011 Overtures Showcase. Photo: Dennis Deloria
- Matthew Gardiner: Associate Artistic Director at Signature Theatre.
- Michael Mainwaring: DC actor currently in Thunder Knocking at the Door at Creative Cauldron, recently in Signature Theatre's Dreamgirls.
- Florrie Bagel: NYC actor, recently in the US National Tour of Sister Act.
- James Gardiner: DC actor currently in Company at Signature, book writer for the musical Glory Days.
- Hannah Willman: DC actor, recently in My Fair Lady at Arena Stage.
- Nick Blaemire: NYC actor, recently in the Broadway revival of Godspell, lyricist and composer for the musical Glory Days.
- Aaron Reeder: DC actor, currently in Show Boat at The Kennedy Center.